Life without the internet?!

Thursday 25 March 2010

What's this? What's this? There's colour everywhere.
What's this? There's WiFi in the air.


Now, hold the phone… what's this?! 


click for fullsize


Is this for real? And I seeing this? Can I truly believe what is on my screen? Is the internet in my student accommodation actually finally working? Do I have full WiFi signal? Does the internet actually stay connected? YES YES YES!! Is it faster than old school dial-up? Well… I wouldn't go that far but it's better than a slap in the face with a soggy fish.

For the first time since I moved to Lincoln we appear to have fully functioning internet and even though it's not broadband quality I am certainly pleased. The one and only thing I dislike about university is the internet. Back in little old Wombourne I have highspeed broadband and dang-nab-it do I miss that. Pages open instantly, it never randomly disconnects and downloads… well, they actually download. So this has made me think (well, you know, first time for everything!)… what would I do without the internet? The first thing that comes to mind is that I wouldn't know two of my best friends. I met my friends Bathy (pictured below) and Kaz on the blogging site Livejournal. I've had my Livejournal since early 2006 and ever since then it's been a big part of my life. Without the internet I would be a crazy lady wandering the streets with her diary asking for advice from strangers on my various foibles and dramas.

Photo: Suzy Maggie Aldridge

Oh and don't get me started on the real life equivalent of Twitter. Wandering up to people on the high street shouting "I love cheese sandwiches!" And what if we didn't have the wonder of Google? Work would have to be done in libraries and essays would take forever. So I want to find out about how spoons are made? With the internet I simply type it into Google and within 0.21 seconds... a smorgasbord of information at my fingertips! But without the internet it's a different matter entirely. It's about 11 o'clock as I write this so the library would be closed so I would have to wait the 9 hours before it opens again. Then the short walk to campus is another 10 minutes. Then after possibly nearly an hour of library-themed confusion on my part I would find my answer... and I wouldn't even be able to share it on Facebook! Does 0.21 seconds beat over 10 hours? I think so!



And what else would be different without the internet?! (Let's ignore that the economy'd probably fail) We would have to talk to pizza delivery companies on the phone whilst squinting at a crumbled menu. We'd never think that cats could be funny. We would never used the acronym "lol" in conversation as a substitute for literally laughing out loud. We would have to wait until the morning papers and breakfast news to learn about the death of Micheal Jackson/Britney Murphy/Jeff Goldblum. And worse, so much more worse than all of this is that we would have never seen this wonderful video.




Also, here's a video I found from one of my favourite YouTubers (AmazingPhil) talking about what his life would be like without the internet.




And so, I ask you, good people of the blogosphere... If we didn't have the wonder of the internet? What would you miss most?

0 comments:

Post a Comment